What do most of us looking to lighten up our diets tend to go for in the summer months? For me, what sounds really good are cool refreshing smoothies or maybe a glass of wine and of course …. salads! You won’t find fatty or boring salads on this blog. Here, we are all about eating healthy but eating hearty! Eating nutrient filled good eats!
This salad fills the bill!
It is a combo of a taco salad meets burrito bowl. Whereas traditional taco salads are loaded with fat and sugar, this salad is super healthy!
Well then friends, I got you covered. Let your taste buds decide! This Mexican Salad bowl is a mixture of textures and flavors that are anything, but boring!
What takes this salad over the top is the homemade guacamole and ranch dressing! Don’t be intimidated by these yummy garnishes. The guacamole comes together with just five ingredients and can be made ahead of time. Avocados are a great source of healthy fats. And it will keep in the fridge for five days. This guacamole is a great dip for veggies, but does double duty as a dynamite topping for any veggie burger.
The ranch dressing has a few more ingredients, but is so much better than the store bought variety. The dressing is low in fat with just a tiny amount of olive oil and is loaded with omega 3’s from the generous dose of hemp seeds. And if you’re wondering, “Ew, hemp seeds in a dressing?” Hemp seeds usually add a little nutty flavor to a dish, however it is totally masked in this dressing. With the use of a high speed blender, the hemp seeds emulsify to act as a thickener. It really tastes like a delicious ranch dressing! Many store bought ranch dressings can be a bad choice for a salad as it’s full of unwanted ingredients. My guess is that once you make this, it may become a staple in your fridge.
Yes, it’s that good!
I loaded this salad bowl with brown rice but it is optional if you want to omit it to make into a lighter version. I also used Beyond Meat beefy crumbles with feisty flavoring which substitutes as ground beef in a traditional taco salad. This is a terrific product that will have the biggest carnivore in your family wondering if you added “meat.” Beyond Meat products can be found in many grocery stores and certainly in many Whole Foods stores.
This Mexican Salad bowl is loaded with other good for you veggies. I seasoned the black beans to give the salad a little more depth of flavor. And if you can find the fire roasted frozen corn, it is so worth it. Similar in concept to fire roasted tomatoes, the char emits more flavor and all you have to do is heat it.
If you make this salad, please let me know. Feel free to Pin it too! If time is an issue, you can put it together faster by making the rice, guacamole and dressing in advance. The beans can be seasoned and then microwaved as the corn. The Beyond Meat is a “cooked” product that just needs to be heated through. I find that cooking or heating the beefy crumbles in a frying pan yields the best results verses microwaving it.
Layer the ingredients as you like and see what a beautiful bounty you have made! The colors, the complexity of the flavors, the cool greens mixed with the hot corn, beans, beefy crumbles topped off with the guacamole and ranch will make you happy and healthy.
Here’s to eliciting that good feeling with this Mexican Bowl Salad!
This hearty salad is both healthy and satisfying. Low in fat and high in protein and fiber, it is sure to please!
- *Guacamole (recipe below)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 15oz size can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- *2 cups organic brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup corn (fire roasted if possible or canned)
- 3 cups organic romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cilantro plus more for garnish
- salsa of your choice
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1 package of Beyond Meat beefy crumbles, feisty flavor
- Hemp Ranch dressing:
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- Make the Hemp Ranch dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until completely emulsified, Pour into glass jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the Guacamole:
- Combine 1 diced roma tomato (remove the seeds) with 1/2 cup diced red onion, the juice of 1 lime, 3 tablespoons of cilantro with 2 avocados, chopped finely. Taste for seasoning and set aside and refrigerate in covered container until ready to use.
- Make the rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Chop the pepper, romaine lettuce.
- Combine the black beans with the cumin and chili and heat in microwave.
- Heat the Beyond Meat beefy crumbles if using.
- Heat the corn in the microwave.
- Make the salad:
- Layer the greens, rice, bean, beefy crumbles and corn.
- Top with the desired peppers, olives and guacamole. Add desired ranch dressing.